Saturday 13 June 2009

Thoughts to begin a last day on the road

I'm so much looking forward to being home later today. The closer I am, the more intense the longing.

I've been asked several times if there have been moments when I wished it was all over. Honestly, there haven't.

It's been an adventure unlike anything I've done before. I've seen so much, met many interesting and inspiring people. There have been thrilling moments, times of elation and of exhaustion, I've walked happy and afraid. And for every mile of it I've been in solitude, but never lonely and never in despair.

Jennifer, Jon and Phil have been in my thoughts and my hearts all the way. Through this blog, Twitter and Facebook I've felt that I'm still stitched into the communities to which I belong.

And in a strange, mysteriously quiet way, I've always known the company of God. The image of the perfect completion of creation in Genesis is of a man and woman walking with God in the garden on a cool evening.

In Jesus, the possibility of a restoration of this relationship was given as a gracious gift. I've known the reality of this for the second half of my life, and the last fifty-two days have confirmed it. There's no pithy bible verse today - the gospel story which feels most fitting is told in Luke 15 but just a sentence from a favourite post-communion prayer says just enough:

"Father God, when we were still far off, you met us in your Son, and brought us home."

1 comment:

  1. Hi SImon
    wonderful post to finish off your walk - we're all so much looking forward to seeing you this afternoon.
    I'm sure that you've used this already on your walk but it keeps coming to mind:
    'Through many dangers, toils and snares
    I have already come.
    'Tis grace that brought me safe thus far,
    And grace will lead me home.'

    Welcome home: we've missed you.

    C & A

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to read your comments, so go ahead and tell me what you think...