Sunday 22 March 2009

Book

Blogging as I go will help me capture the adventure of my walk home but since I began the planning of my renewal leave I knew I wanted to compile the diary into a 'proper' book. The publishing business is changing and one of recent innovations is print-on-demand. The idea is that the author uploads their work to an online publisher, who makes the book available for purchase. Instead of minimum print runs and stocks held in warehouses, the costs are kept down by only printing as many copies as are actually ordered.

I was going to keep quiet about my plans until I was sure that a book would actually appear but something has been happening which has made it sensible to go public about it now.

Some of the people who find out about my walk seem to struggle a bit with the idea of doing something like this without raising money for a good cause. And it's a good point. The whole aim of the project is about a refreshing and renewal of me in my ministry. But if as a byproduct I can raise some cash for a charity, then I'm very happy to do so. I'd already decided that all proceeds from the book would go to Christian Aid, so it seems the right time to let people know what I'm hoping to do.

The plan is to compile all the blog entries into a book during the three weeks after I return home and before I resume work. I'm not sure about the price for the book but I reckon that something around a tenner will allow me to give something worthwhile to Christian Aid for its great work in tackling poverty around the world.

I'll update this post with more details of the book as they are confirmed.

Use the form below to register your interest and I'll send you more details in July 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to read your comments, so go ahead and tell me what you think...