Monday 17 November 2008

Walking with weight

Time being short today, I decided to try loading my day pack with enough weight to make a short walk demanding. Up to now, I've walked with a few bits and pieces in my pack - water, gloves, hat, sometimes a large camera. I expect to be taking something nearer 10kg when Walking Home next year and I've little idea how that will feel.

So what to carry in a small (30 litres) day pack? I wondered about a couple of bottles of Coke but then spotted a brand new 5 litre container of screen wash fluid in the garage. It fitted the small pack beautifully. It's cool and drizzly today, so I put on a long-sleeved cotton shirt, fleece and jacket before pulling on the back pack. It certainly felt heavy but not uncomfortable.

I walked 4.4 miles in total, in about 90 minutes, looking for signs of new strains and stresses.

The weight changed my walking posture, making me lean forward more. I wondered how this would affect my back during a full day. There was no pain, but a very different set of sensations. It was my neck and shoulders that felt the difference most - the day pack I use has a waistband but this carries none of the weight. It wasn't very uncomfortable but I'm sure that after a few hours I'd feel sore. I'll have to check this carefully when buying a large pack. I've read that a good pack should take most of the weight on the waist, rather than the shoulders.

The short walk this morning has been helpful in confirming that I need to practise with a full load. I won't be able to fit 10 kg in the small day pack but perhaps a friend could lend me a larger pack until I decide which to buy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to read your comments, so go ahead and tell me what you think...